1. What did you do in 2013 that you'd never done before?
I passed something from my uterus. It was painful and terrible and amazing.
2. Did you keep your new year's resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
I don't do resolutions. I figure if I want to do something, I should shut up and do it. Mainly because I've never in my life kept a single resolution I've ever made on NYE. I just do what I need to.
3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
My sister did. And I did, sort of, when I miscarried.
4. Did anyone close to you die?
I lost my beautiful Aunt Maggie this year, and in September, my darling baby Lennon.
5. What countries did you visit?
What kind of meme assumes people have the cash to go visiting different countries? Goodness grief. I didn't visit anywhere, I am too broke.
6. What would you like to have in 2014 that you lacked in 2013?
Money. I really need some. I want to have a baby and live somewhere not entirely dreadful. Not that my current place is dreadful - it's perfect. It's just not *my* place, it's my parent's.
7. What date from 2013 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
A lot were terrible. Waking up and my Mum tearily telling me that Maggie was gone. Holding my dearest Lennon while he was put to sleep forever, singing my song for him, "You are the sunshine of my life." Squatting in a hot bath in the bathroom, my mother nearby, crying out in agony as I passed my pregnancy. That's the bad stuff.
But I also won't forget meeting William Shatner, and how kind he was. Or how I hit it off with Margot Kidder and how much she loved my clothes and how friendly she was. Or seeing all the beautiful guys from Camelot. Or meeting the incredible, sweet, wonderful Gail Simone and her encouragement to me in my comics career.
8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
I didn't really achieve much this year in the material sense. I got an illustration on the cover of the Continuum magazine. My work was up in a Perth cafe all year, and will be again when Frank gets a new place to set up his business. Emotionally, psychologically, I managed to overcome some pretty serious anxiety issues. I managed to get through one of the toughest periods of my life in one piece. I never gave up.
9. What was your biggest failure?
Not doing enough.
10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
I'm a woman with a chronic pain condition. The only days I wasn't in constant agony was when I was pregnant. And then, I was only in agony *some* of the time instead of all the time.
11. What was the best thing you bought?
12. Whose behavior merited celebration?
Daniel was there for me through some tough times, even though he was going through tough times as well. Mum was INCREDIBLE. She was there for me through some seriously rough shit. She sat with me for hours in the Emergency Department at the local hospital when I was waiting to see someone about my dosage fuck up with my antidepressants. She sat with me when I was going through my miscarriage stuff. She is a hero.
13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?
Fuck me, where do I start? Fifty percent of the country for voting for Tony fucking Abbott? Really, if I start I won't stop.
14. Where did most of your money go?
Psych fees. Health insurance. Stupid purchases.
15. What did you get really, really, really excited about?
Getting pregnant. Meeting celebs. Art. Seeing all the new duck species at the lake near my home.
16. What song(s) will always remind you of 2013?
Wrecking Ball - Miley Cyrus. That's in a bad way.
Dance Apocalyptic - Janelle Monae. That's in a good way.
17. Compared to this time last year, are you:
I. happier or sadder? Hard to say. I hadn't been through the stuff I'd been through this year, so I was less emotionally scarred. But I was scared. This year I am mourning things, but I'm not scared anymore.
II. richer or poorer? Poorer! I am always poorer!
III. fatter or thinner? I'm fitter, that's what's important. LOL! Probably about the same size, though.
18. What do you wish you'd done more of?
Art. Producing creative product.
19. What do you wish you'd done less of?
Worrying about money and family. (The last person that did this wrote that, but I'm keeping it because that's exactly what I wish I'd done less of).
20. How will you be spending the holidays?
With family, kicking back and making the most of the good times. Enjoying the company of those I don't get to see all the time, especially my big brother Paulie, who is living in Japan presently.
21. How will you be spending New Year's?
Family. Music. Drinking. Merriment.
22. Did you fall in love in 2013?
Yes, with my nephew Leon. Hahaha! But seriously, I am constantly falling more and more in love with my darling Daniel. We had our three year anniversary in August.
23. How many one-night stands?
None of those anymore, outside of my dreams at any rate.
24. What was your favorite TV program?
25. Do you hate anyone now that you didn't hate this time last year?
I do what I can not to foster feelings of hatred, but those feelings in me have deepened for key members of Australia's Liberal Party on both a state and federal level.
26. What was the best book you read?
I finally got around to reading Sense and Sensibility. It was rad.
27. What was your greatest musical discovery?
I finally got to hear some of Erykah Badu's work and it is amazing.
28. What did you want and get?
Is this for Christmas? An art shop gift card.
29. What did you want and not get?
There's a lot I didn't get, I didn't think about it.
30. What was your favorite film of this year?
I loved The Hobbit.
31. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
I had a family party, a small one. I turned 34. It was a lovely intimate affair.
32. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
Getting more art done.
33. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2012?
Loose and colourful. Patterns and vintage. Beads, hot shoes, bringing attention to my eyes. Returning attention to my tiny middle as I had been neglecting it for some time. Remembering that I have a hot body and not putting it behind baggy clothes *too* much.
34. What kept you sane?
Love. Daniel, Rogue, Mum, fambly.
35. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?
Eh, just the usual suspects.
36. What political issue stirred you the most?
Environmental issues here in Australia.
37. Whom did you miss?
My auntie Maggie. She used to visit every weekend and I'd show here what I'd been crocheting. I haven't crocheted much since she died. Lenny. He used to give me Lenny hugs every day - big paddy paws, a little "Muff mruff mow" noise when I held him tight, his puffing purrs, his happy sound when eating, the way he'd pat my face so tenderly. I had that cat in my life, every day, for eighteen years. It is so odd to be without him now.
38. Who was the best new person you met?
Tracy was awesome, she's a subscriber to my brother's Youtube channel. I like her. And Leon. OH MY GOD, LEON. What an amazing little person he is. I love my nephew more than words can say. He is so beautiful, so perfect, so hilarious. I love being with him, he heals my heart and makes me smile as if the world was brand new.
39. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2013?
Bad things happen. Worrying doesn't stop that. All it does is reduce the quality of the good days you have, and that's no good, cause you only get so many of them.
Family makes everything better. Love can overcome just about any ill in your heart.
40. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year.
Just being alive, it can really hurt. And these moments given are a gift from time. -- Moments of Pleasure, Kate Bush.